To me, it is:
- value delivery,
- rhythm of future delivery.
Agility is about effectivity, and becoming more efficient at it.
It should be towards providing a competitive edge.
A lens for every department, engineering included, to evaluate what and how they work.
Anything else is a waste of time, energy and other resource.
- timing the tickets?
- waste of resources – #NoEstimates.
- writing tickets?
- more wastage.
- keeping a backlog?
- a drain
- growing backlog of errors to be fixed?
- endless cycle of waste
- how about? (on twitter)
Watch them interact with the product.
Find their values.
About engineering department,
their focus stretches beyond developing today's best solution;
They should also consider:
- improving the current rhythm (by internal tooling, design choices, architecture, refactoring, etc)
- enabling superior solutions; unlock new potentials (think of Apple's M-series chips vs. betting on Intel)
Each part significant;
each part strategic;
all while the focus is kept on what truly matters: real value for the users.